Simple Steps To Reduce Summer Utility Bills
We all want to save money. Especially during the summer months when large utility bills can arrive in the mail. Here are a few cost saving tips that will help keep money in your pocket but won’t sacrifice your comfort.
- Use fans. Overhead fans can keep cool air circulating and lighten the load of the air conditioning unit.
- Seal up leaks. Cool air escapes through leaks in windows and doors. If you spot problem areas, seal them with foam or caulking.
- Add insulation. If you live in an older home, consider adding insulation to your attic. Some insulation is eligible for federal tax credits.
- Regularly inspect your air conditioner. Making sure your system is fully charged and leak-free will ensure it operates as efficiently as possible. Changing air filters can also help.
- Close blinds, doors and vents. Closing the blinds when you’re not home can keep the sun from heating up rooms. If you won’t be using a room, close off the vents and shut the door.