Vacation Time: Don’t Go Broke When You Go Away
Summer is right around the corner
If you haven’t planned your vacation yet, it is not too late. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to plan the perfect getaway.
Here are a few tips for keeping your vacation expenses under control when you travel.
- Fly during the week. According to FareCompare.com, airfare is generally more expensive over the weekend. For instance, planning your trip from Wednesday to Wednesday could secure you a cheaper fare. Avoid high business travel days, such as Friday, Sunday night and Monday morning.
- Stay close to home. Distant destinations may be more desirable, but often you can find worthy vacation spots closer to home. Consider national parks or lively cities in neighboring states.
- Pack your own snacks for the road. Airline food and gas station snacks can be expensive. Get into the habit of packing sandwiches and snacks. Bring along bottled water, and resist the impulse to buy an overpriced soda.
- Do your research. Before making any reservations, compare prices. Check out fees which may not be obvious, and don’t be afraid to negotiate a better rate. Look online for special deals and coupons.
- Plan some downtime. An itinerary keeps you organized, which can save you money. Don’t pack your trip so full of stops that you end up rushed and exhausted and aren’t able to enjoy the experience. Give yourself and your family an afternoon by the pool to relax.